Friday, January 9, 2009

The start of an adventure...

Strange days, indeed. I'm not even sure where to start. I should have started this a week ago. I don't really know where to start, except of course with this rambling. I suppose I should just start. With the real content, I mean. Not this bullshit rambling. Out with it:

I'm in Croatia. Or The Republika Hrvatska to be precise. The town of Varaždin to be very precise. In the National Theatre on the top floor (I think it's the top floor anyway) in a large room to be very very precise. I arrived on Sunday after spending the night in Guildford with my good friend, Seanette, and my new good friend, Tom Hill. Fantastic people. I wrote several pages in my journal of London, Guildford, getting to Guildford, returning to London/Heathrow and getting to Zagreb...but, to be honest, I really don't feel like repeating all that. Outside of meeting Tom and seeing Guildford, there realy isn't much to tell. Except I am now a fan of the show "Black Books." Amazingly funny show. Almost on the level of "Arrested Development." Strangely both are canceled now.

So: Zagreb. Easiest airport ever. It had snowed just a day or so before I arrived so white rooftops and dirty snowbanks were everywhere. I waited a few minutes in the airport lobby-area waiting for Jasna, the woman Steve sent to pick me up. That wording is strange. Jasna runs the theatre in
Varaždin. She's the top dog. And she happened to be in Zagreb and offered to pick me up. She's delightful. I watched her approach another guy about my age, asking if his name was Matt and knew that the rosy plump woman before me was Jasna. I should clarify: Jasna is pronounced Yaz-na. She insisted on a cup of coffee before getting on the road.

I'm getting into too much detail here. If I keep this up, I'll never finish. (I suddenly thought of Spaceballs: 'This ship is too big. If I walk, the movie will be over.'). Anyway, so it took an hour-ish to get to
Varaždin. Steve met me at the theatre and we went to Angelos for dinner where I had horseraddish soup (it was amazing). I slept well, but fast and woke up at 3 or 4 or something. The long and short: my first few days here have been busy and fantastic both. These people are talented in a way that's inspiring. Watching this cast in a rehearsal makes me yearn for the stage again. The way they invent and play is unlike anything I've experience yet. The level of professionalism here is unbelievable.

Hmmm...Something interesting: the school here have no concept of popular. No in crowd. I can barely imagine high school without popularity.

Alright so I've got to get back to work. I'll try and catch up on the little details and such next time around. Or I'll just dive right into whatever's currently going on and you'll all be lost in the tempest like I was my first days. Mwahaha! The laugh seems really ridiculus now. That said: I'm off! Rehearsal starts in 7 minutes.

Cheers!

No comments: